Re: 1600 engine block color?

To: <Geegc@aol.com>, " roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1600 engine block color?
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:31:10 -0500
Geegc@aol.com wrote

>With the engine out, I plan to repaint it but don't know the proper color.
> As best I can tell, there is no color left on the block (it is the
>original)and wonder what a very early 1966 1600 block was originally.
>
>Thanks
>
>Gary C
>red one
>black one
I am on the tail-end of what you are starting.  I bought the nissan blue
paint from CDM.  here are some pictures:

http://datsun_marc.tripod.com/cgi-bin/r16_engine.html

     Cleaning was quite a job, seemed like I tried everything.  Carb
cleaner works fast, but the fumes are too much for me, and it gets
expensive fast.  I found an engine cleaner/degreaser at Wal-Mart (Super
Tech, or something like that)  that worked pretty well it seemed to be a
cocktail of detergrnts and solvents.  TSP works well too.  I used a
Hudson sprayer to rinse  with water , you can pump up a good head of
pressure and not spalsh greasy water *too* far over the work area. Start
collecting toothbrushes, and plastic buckets and such.  I ran out of
Nitrile gloves before the cleaning was done, and I still haven't gotten
all the grime off :^).
     Have fun, It's really rewarding to uncover new looking metal under
gook...like a treasure hunt or archaeological dig.

-Marc T.