OT old lathe tune up

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: OT old lathe tune up
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 19:29:45 -0700
Hello All,
        Nother kinda off topic post.  I have just 'scored' and old craftsman
12" lathe from my work. They didn't want it and were going to surplus it sooo
I got it.  Its got a four-jaw chuck and three jaw chuck and power feeds in
both directions and threading attachments and tons of stuff like parting
tools and live centers its a model 101.28980
        Here's my question, its been sitting for a while and has not been
lubricated-adjusted or run correctly (I just found the 'lost' manual when we
were moving it-so thats how you ingage the back gear.....) Its got lots of old
grimy grease on the gears and I need to tighten up and basically adjust
everything. With the help of the manual I now know how to do that but I really
want to clean off the 20yrs of old grease and grime and give everything a
fresh coat of lubricant.
        Can anybody offer any tips on how to clean up the old nasty grease
and or advice on 'tightening' things up??
                Thanks,
                        Daniel in SF

///
///