Re: O.T....Welding

To: "Thomas Walter" <twalter@austin.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: O.T....Welding
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 20:38:45 -0500
Thomas Walter wrote

>One "old timers trick" is to carbonize the steel. Take
>a very acetylene rich flame, and "coat" the piece in carbon
>(from the soot of the flame). Once coated, heat the piece
>to a nice red until the carbon is burned off. The surface
>will be a little harder, and wear longer.

I'd heard about this trick for annealing aluminum for shaping...funny how
different metals behave...differently.

-Marc T.

Marc Tyler
Sisterdale TX
1970 1600 #SPL311-31016 "The Jaundiced Kid II"
1965 L-320 #L320 013642 "Domino"
1965 L-320 Parts car    Don't name a chicken you're going to eat.

http://datsun_marc.tripod.com/cgi-bin/datsun_homepage.html

///
///