Floor pan repair (part 3)

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Floor pan repair (part 3)
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@MSFC.NASA.GOV>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 08:43:15 -0500
Thanks guys for all the great information!

Well, I was off Friday and after I cleaned the house I was going to detail
the Frontier.  But this floor pan delima was bugging me.  So, I walked
around the Roadster a few times with my ice tea saying mmmm a lot.  I do
have a gas MIG welder, so I desided to do some checking.  So, off to my
favorate scrap yard.

I found a 4ft X 12ft sheet of 18 gage steel for 15 bucks.  Back home to get
my trailer (Frontier bed is only 5 ft).  I also picked up some heavier 3
inch wide steel for reinforcement under the seat rails.  Sunday I made a
pattern for the right rear floor pan, traced it out on the steel and cut it
with the saws-all.  I cut it so I could turn the edges up about an inch at
90 degrees.  To do this I screwed the piece down to the work bench with 1
inch over hang and bent it down using a large rubber mallet.  I bent 3 sides
and now have - well - a pan.  It fits pretty good for the first try!  The
pan will be in two pieces divided by the raised area just in front of the
seat.  It is still in good shape.  I will cut the rusty pan out leaving just
enough to hold the new pan in place.  I will treat all areas for rust, weld
in the new pan, then turn the body over and treat/weld the other side.  So
far it is going very easy - knock on wood.  During the week I will make the
rest of the patterns and cut the pans out.  The next day I have off, I
should have all the pans welded in place.

One question - what is the best way to treat this new steel?  POR, or just
prep it like new body work and under coat the bottom side?

Hey Brad - hope you had a good time getting the top frame at the in-laws.
They enjoyed you guys!   Ooops - that would be "you all" in the South:)

Happy Roadstering!!

Phil
SEROC!!

///