Re: starters and tachs, etc.

To: roadsterregistry@yahoo.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: starters and tachs, etc.
From: "Mark Gill" <willie2570@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 19:34:30 +0000
Hello List,

Speaking as a novice shade tree mechanic, removal and replacement of the
short body starter from a High Windshield with SU's, stock exhaust, can be
done as described.  Even when you have short fingers and fat arms.

The biggest problem I had was getting the right tool to remove the bolts
that connect the starter to the flywheel housing.  I finally gave up with my
standard entry level mechanic assortment and made a trip to Sears and bought
two special tools.

One was a special bent pull handle socket with a double jointed socket head.
  The other was a double jointed swivel socket extension adapter.

With the above and a little patience finding the correct way to turn the
removed starter, the starter will exit the vehicle between the frame and the
body from the left wheel well.  Nothing was removed from the car except the
starter.

Good luck and regards,

Mark Gill
Denton, TX
SRL311-14359
If you are not double jointed, the next best thing is double jointed tools.
Oh by the way, the first starter was bad and had to replace it again.
Experience is a good, but sometimes cruel teacher.