New Yorkers

To: "Dawn & Dave" <ddpdatsun@att.net>,
Subject: New Yorkers
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 17:28:11 -0400
I received an interesting reply to one of my posts and in it they referred
to NYers as not being "very loved" in other parts of the country prior to
this event and probably those feelings will occur again when this tragedy
has long since past.

It's true, NYers are a different "breed" from much of the country. We're
often considered unfriendly and pushy and a host of other characteristics
which are not highly regarded in society. I know we are all products of the
societies and communities in which we grow up and unfortunately in NY it's a
pretty tough one - a very competitive one; dog eat dog so to speak.

I really don't think we're all that tough and we do lend a helping hand when
needed and our skin is no thicker than yours or are our hearts harder than
yours.

I guess we're very forthright and tell you to your face what we are thinking
rather than behind your back - I know from some of my posts you probably get
that feeling. That forthrightness may have cost me some friends here but I
feel it's important to let the facts be laid out straight. I try to protect
those around me when I feel something is fishy and it has not been
appreciated by some. I try not to hurt anyone's feelings but if I must to
protect others so it be.

I appreciate, as do all NYers, all the help and empathy from the rest of the
country and overseas. We really can't thank all of you enough. I don't think
that any state has not sent some help here and I can't forget all those
Canadians who came here to help. We'll probably need a lot more help in the
coming weeks and IMHO, months, that it will take to clean up this ugly mess.
I fear that NYs Finest (Police) and Bravest (Firemen) will wear themselves
out shortly - adrenalin only lasts so long and right now there is still hope
of rescuing people which also makes your body and mind move faster.

If I may, I also believe NYC has taken the brunt of the anger of the "jihad"
for the entire US most noticably in 1993 with the first bombing of the WTC
as well as other bombings which have ocurred in the NYC area before that and
after that and I fear it isn't over yet. I guess we're the "lightning rod"
for the country.

Thanks again for all of your help,

Mike

FWIW, upstate NYers can't stand us either :)