Still feeling too numb.

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Still feeling too numb.
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 21:56:52 -0500
Still feeling very numb.

For those of you who ever get the chance to live outside
of the U.S.A., I highly recommend it. There are many cultures
though out the world, and many different perspectives. Sadly
at times we tend to see only the radical element of a culture
in the news. There is much, much more out there.

I lived, and worked, in Germany for five years. German company,
one of the few American's working in a division of 5,000 people.
On day a coworker brought in the Magazine: "Stern" which had
focused on the U.S.A. in that issue. One article showed a
very pro NAZI rally. He was shocked, as he had no idea the
U.S.A. was so bigoted! I had never heard of the group, nor
was it anything like the folks in Montana. Here was a photo
shoot of about 300 folks for a weekend gathering, looking
much more like a Baptist Gathering than a pro Nazi event.
Full dress uniforms with SS insignia's. He was shaking as
he remembered the SS all to well.

Another time I was talking with two fellow students in my
German night class. They were both from Iran, and really
hated living in Germany and dealing with German's. It
struck me really odd that they had such feelings, yet
lived in Germany. It turned out they had been photographed
with a group of friends while watching a Pro Shah demonstration.
Not participating, only watching as any group of 10 to 14 year
old kids would. Of the seven boys in that group, they were the
only two left. The others had been dragged out into the
street at night, and shot.  It took me over a year to finally
understand what happened. Their only hope was things would
change enough for them to return home. It was also interesting
as they were very anti American. To them Germany was still
under "occupation" by the USA. I told them I was from California,
yet they never made the connection that was part of the USA.
When I finally explained "California is part of the USA"
they exclaimed "So the American's took over your country and
you fled to Germany!".  They finally got it straight, and were
totally dismayed to discover I lived in Germany as I enjoyed living
there. I was free to come and go from the USA without permission.
They finally started to realize that what they were told about
the USA was not true.

I have no desire to see us bomb the hell out of a foreign
country.

As for bin Laden and his Terrorist cells... nail the SOB's.
I can think of a few passages from "The Haj" which would
be much more fitting than cruise missiles.

Tom Walter