Re: Possible answer: inspection hole in bellhousing

To: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>,
Subject: Re: Possible answer: inspection hole in bellhousing
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 17:20:23 -0500
John F Sandhoff wrote

>Back home, I yank the starter and find THE NOSEPIECE MISSING. Just
>had the tip of the armature shaft kinda hanging there! ARGGH! So now I
>had a chunk of cast aluminum waiting to chuck itself into the clutch
>assembly! The question: How to get it out?!!
>
>I tried fishing it out from the starter hole but no way could I even get a
>look-see (using a fiberscope no less), let alone figure out how to snag it.
>Boy, did I think about drilling my own 'inspection hole'!

That would also explain the rough edges, especially if it was done while
the car was on jackstands.  When I got the flywheel inspected and
resurfaced i picked up a nice burr to clean up the hole.  What do you
think let go to cause the nosepiece to fall in?

-Marc

The price of freedom is offense.  - Benjamin Franklin