Re: Anti-backfire valve

To: Edgar Gonzalez <datsunspl311@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Anti-backfire valve
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 20:43:22 -0700 (PDT)
Taken directly from my 260z service manual:

Anti-Backfire valve - [During the] initial period of deceleration...
the mixture in the intake manifold is too rich to ignite and burn in
the combustion chamber and burns easily in the exhaust system with the
injected air in the exhaust manifold.  The Anti-backfire valve provides
a supply of air to the intake manifold, thereby making the air-fuel
mixture leaner, preventing backfire.  The correct function of this
valve reduces hydrocarbon emission during deceleration.

(my comment) This implies that the air injected into the exhaust
manifold helps burn combustibles.  Other things (such as the AB valve)
help to avoid combustibles in the exhaust in the first place.

EGR - the EGR system has exhuast gases recirculate into the combustion
chamber and reduces combustion tempurature so as to reduce NOx produced
in the combustion process.

(my comment again) Oddly, the section for the smog pump (called AIR
INJECTION SYSTEM) doesn't describe what if any emissions it helps, or
exactly what it does, other than add fresh air to the exhaust.  The AB
valve avoids a problem CAUSED by the presence of the smog pump - namely
backfiring ("popping") due to air injected in a too-rich mixture in the
exhaust manifold.

=====