R 16 Headgaskets

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: R 16 Headgaskets
From: "Henry Bahn" <hbahn@home.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 08:34:06 -0400
Blew another head gasket at the track yesterday.  Modified R 16 with
aluminum head (true, at least before this incident!), studded (ARP), torqued
and re-torqued,  3 row radiator, oil cooler,  etc.  And I wasn't running
hard -
shifting about 6k RPM, 1500 below my red line.  No water in oil or vice
versa - this probably just means it was vaporized in the cylinders.

I've tried several head gaskets, including copper, and just can't get the
reliability I need.  Last one was a  stock Nissan with no dressing;  it
initially worked well (one race) than another failure . . .

Has anyone had good luck with a particular brand or type?
In addition, I'm going to an aluminum radiator, and I think I'll richen the
carbs a bit - I suspect detonation and inadequate heat dissipation.

JH "frustrated" Bahn