Brake caution

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake caution
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@MSFC.NASA.GOV>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:22:58 -0500
A word of caution about our brakes.

A friend was driving his '66 2L Solex and was coming to a stop at a very
busy intersection.  He hit the brakes and nothing.  Quick thinking and years
of racing kicked in and he pulled the E-brake just in time to save him and
his Roadster.

Cause of the brake failure was the spring clip that holds the push rod in
the master cylinder had fatigued and broke allowing the rod to come out.
The wear on the spring clip was caused by the rod being pulled back HARD by
the return spring on the brake pedal.   As we all do - we side step the
brake pedal when we release it, thus causing this hard slam of the rod on
the spring clip.  Interesting thing is as far as we can tell the Roadster is
the only car that has these return springs.  The springs inside the master
cylinder are strong enough to return the petal.

So, an easy solution is to remove the return spring off the brake petal.  We
have done this with no difference in braking or petal return.

Insight as to why this spring is on the Roadster and why it has such a high
spring rate?

Have a good day! - and be careful.

Phil
SEROC
PS - don't forget Road Atlanta is coming up - YEEE HAAA!!!!