Re: Something NOT to do!

To: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Something NOT to do!
From: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 09:44:40 -0400
The valve cover soaked overnight has been heavily oxidized by the chemicals
in the degreaser. You have to remove this oxidation. Superfine or "0000"
steel wool, it will NOT turn your aluminum valve cover a rust tint -- I did
my Z cover 3 years ago and still looks great (it 'aint garage kept). My
dad's 2000 cover also looks great, no rust tinge at all. The fibers in 0000
steel wool are too fine to "imbed" themselves into the aluminum. It's a
great polisher. I've cleaned up many Z valve covers by lightly sanding the
whole thing with 400 grit sandpaper to cut through the oxidation, then
"0000" or superfine steel wool as a polish. Then final polish with a
polishing compound and a cloth.
Now, if you use a coarse steel wool, it'll really scratch up the cover, but
even here the steel fibers won't "embed" themselves into the aluminum. I
think Patrick might be applying a wood refinishing caution to aluminum.
Steel fibers will get into wood and stain it. You DON'T want to use steel
wool on unfinished wood, as the fibers will get stuck in the grain. If
water then gets on it (like as part of the refinishing process) it'll stain
the wood with rust. It is OK, however, to use very fine steel wool on wood
that has a couple of finish coats already on it, to polish the finish. Just
be sure the wood is fully sealed with no raised grain to catch steel
fibers, and use a really fine steel wool.
Alex