Re: Something NOT to do!

To: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>
Subject: Re: Something NOT to do!
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 08:27:24 -0500 (CDT)
I would not recommend using steel wool on aluminum, especially the part
that is to be seen.  Steel wool sheds as it works.  It also is much
harder than the aluminum it is being used on.  The sttl fibers can get
imbedded into the aluminum.  The imbedded pieces are really small, smaller
than you can see, but there anyway.  As the steel rusts it will change the
color of the aluminum to have a rust tint.  If you must use a wool type
product, use bronze or one of the synthetic products out there, something
that is intended to use on aluminum.

As for the black coating, it is possibly a coating of redeposited grease
and dirt.  Try wiping some of it to see if it will come off.  If the
surface indeed has turned black, then abrasion may be the only way to
clean it up.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner