Brake line questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake line questions
From: Daniel E McHatton <hallosb@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 17:31:24 -0700
I've replaced all the calipers and wheel cylinders with parts from our
vendors.  I heard about the corrosion problems with the plastic coating
on the brake lines, so I removed it.  So far, all of my brake lines have
looked pretty good.  A little surface rust, but nothing major.  I lightly
sanded the lines with 220 and 400 grit sandpaper to get off the light
rust, but tried to take it easy.  It doesn't take much to reveal the
golden hue from the original chrome coating process.  I then coated them
with clear coat spray.  Please, tell me I haven't done anything stupid up
to this point.

Now, the questions.

1.  I have to replace two lines.  The brake line from the distribution
block to the left front flexible hose is corroded.  The brake line from
the distribution block to right front flexible hose has a bad fitting.
Any tips on bending lines?  Is it easy to find lines close to the right
length or do you have to buy them long and cut and flare them to the
correct length?

2.  I noticed the brake line that runs along the frame is wrapped in a
spring (in fact, the fuel line is also).  I guess it protects it from
vibration wear.  Is this anything like the plastic coating?  Should I be
concerned about corrosion problems?  ...or...  Should I just inspect them
and leave them alone if I don't find any problems?

Thanks in advance.  Hey, maybe once I get the brakes finished.  I can
fire the engine up again and start driving it.  Then, I'd get to write
about driving down the highway with the top down like some of the others
on the list.  Someday....  I hope real soon.

Dan McHatton
'66 1600