Help! (Long, but OT)

To: Datsun Roadster <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Help! (Long, but OT)
From: Jeff Etheridge <maurell@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 06:19:08 -0500
Jeff, '68 1600

Replaced the head gasket for the third time. Charm! right? Wrong.

I sent head to shop this time; resurfaced, pressure tested, valve job,
new valve seals...$130. After I layed the new gasket on the head there
was a groove along the metal ring of the number 4 cylinder. Back to shop
and had it welded and then surfaced again...another $32. $240 in this
time including the gasket set and seals.

I backed the timing off a little because I thought it might be a little
high???? (just some advice I got???)

Put it back together by Thom's Tech Tips...as always. Reset the points,
verified gap in plugs, set valve to .020 cold, and back together.

Wouldn't start!?! Sounded like it wasn't firing...got some starting
fluid and tried. It was firing but wouldn't stay running??? Monkeyed
with the timing...still not starting? *(&^*%

Pulled the plugs...1 and 4 had carbon on them; 2 and 3 were
clean...(cleaned them when I verified gap). hmmmm. Monkeyed with the
timing some more. Manual adjusted as I don't have a light...have never
used one, and don't know if I'd know how?

Decided to check for compression since I got a tester for x-mas last
year. 1, 3 and 4 were about the same, 130-150, something...I forgot?
Number 2 had NOTHING!!! ZERO. Checked it three times to make sure I
wasn't creating a cockpit error.

Pulled the head again...looks ok? Thought maybe I dropped a valve... I
don't know what else to do. I am not a mechanic, I am probably a novice
and am trying to learn from my mistakes...but I can't keep buying gasket
kits at $30 a pop! Eventually they'll run out of gasket kits...

Any comments appreciated...

Jeff
'68 1600

p.s....OOPS, I DID IT AGAIN!!!!! bought a '68 2000 two weeks ago. I have
this one five years and still don't have it running and had to buy
another one...duh!