Mt. Wilson Run

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Mt. Wilson Run
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 16:45:11 PDT
Hey Roadster Lovers!

What a great day for a run! The sun was out but it was not too hot. We had
six roadsters show up which was a good turn out for only two days notice.
Some familiar faces were there and also some brand new faces.

In attendance:

Andrew Murphy 70 2000 (New top! Looks awesome!)
Victor Laury  70 2000 ( As fast as ever )
Roman Rist    66 1600 (Primer king)
Phil Erickson 69 2000 ( Fast and YELLOW )
Chris Aurit   70 1600 (Beautiful car)
Tom Prather   70 2000 (Another Beautiful Car)

We met at a gas station at the base of Angeles Crest hiway and headed up for
some fun twisties. People were very good about pulling over to let us go by
and Victor as usual was out front and soon out of sight. At the turn off to
Mt. Wilson, we stopped at a parking lot to take a break and shoot the
breeze. We all noticed a bright red single seat formula one style car shoot
by and commented on it, but didn't think much until a few minutes later.

The driver had turned around and come back up the hill to see our roadsters
which he had spotted from the road. Into the parking lot comes this single
seat race car like none I had ever seen before and Jay Leno gets out.

Turns out Jay owned a 1600 at one time and so was very interested in our
cars. We were also interested in his and he showed it to us proudly. It is a
hand built car appropriatly called a "Rocket". Made in England, it is one of
ten in the world and the only one in the U.S.A. It is a tube frame
surrounded by fiberglass and has carbon fiber dash and fenders. 143 hp and
the car weighs 750 lbs. Jay said nothing on the road could stay with him. We
believed it. Jay was a great guy just out enjoying his car as were we. He
had a lot of questions about the roadsters. Photos were taken of him, his
car, and of us standing around trying to play it cool with him. Pics posted
soon.

We then went up to Mt. Wilson summit and took the opportunity for photo ops
and to enjoy the view. After that, we headed back to main road and turned
right and headed further up the mountain to a restaurant where we had lunch.
It was a unanimous decision that the food here was much better than the
"beef jerky sandwiches" we had on the palomar run.

>From there we wound down the mountain and went our separate ways. A great
run, a great time and a great experience. Still looking forward to Doheny
and seeing all the cars there.

See you on the road!

Andrew Murphy
SoCalROC