Re: U-20 rear main seal

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: U-20 rear main seal
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 18:26:42 -0700
R Haug wrote:

> Is it possible to change the seal without removing the crank?

Nope.

> I believe that I read the seal should be soaked in oil over night and
> then installed?
> Is this true?

That's one approach. I don't know if there is one "technically correct and
superior" approach.

> Are there any tricks to the main seal I should know.

Make sure it gets seated thoroughly in it's groove and carefully trim the ends
so they are flush
with the cap mating surface. If they extend up too far, they can fold over onto
the mating surface
when the cap is torqued down and prevent the cap from seating properly.

--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org