2000 timing chains

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.Team.Net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 2000 timing chains
From: "jerry gallagher" <jdg1@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 22:35:49 -0700
I've been on the roadster list for about 7 years and have seen many posts
about the 2L timing chain setup.  I've been wondering just about as long if
there are any alternatives.

So I'm going to contribute this free idea and perhaps my flawed knowledge of
things automotive will be brought to light(not too much risk of that not
happening with this group but hey this is roadster related so be gentle)
and I can spend my time thinking of other things.

1.) the 2L's performance seems to suffer from the weight of two timing
chains and four timing gears.
2.) many newer cars have timing belts.  A belt of the same length weighs
much less than a double-row chain
3.) many racing Alfas use a single row chain instead of the normal
double-row chain.  Has anyone ever heard of a 2L running a single row chain?
4.) with the abundance of cars using  timing belts these days is it lunacy
to think that out there somewhere there is a combination of timing gears and
timing belts and tensioners that could be adapted to the 2L to perhaps
lighten the valve train and increase performance.  Perhaps there is a
permanent solution to the 2L death rattle waiting to be found out there --
maybe it would cost less the replacing the timing
chains/tensioners/gears/guides with stock parts.
5.) the biggest issue I can identify about this being possible, making the
assumption that item #4 is true, would be how to create a dry environment
for the belts since oil and timing belts are not a good combination (there
are some things you don't want to slip).
6.) If I remember correctly the reduction from crank speed occurs between
the crank and the jackshaft. The jackshaft to cam is a 1:1 ratio.

Am I volunteering to use my own car -- no.  I rebuilt the engine 8 years ago
and the car gets about 1,000 miles a year -- probably less this year since
I'm using my Alfa gtv6 as my daily driver.  I fully expect the stock setup
to last quite a while -- bought everything new from a Nissan dealer, right
down to new lock tabs for the tensioners.

going to get the nomex on now (former racer? no, used to own a pinto)

hope you all have a good weekend

Jerry
'69 SRL311 xxxx7
'86 alfa romeo gtv6