how many

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: how many
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:00:54 -0500
I just checked the Internet for Tx DOT (Texas) rules about release of
information on registered cars.  Texas will give you a list of cars whose
VIN starts with SPL or SRL, or a list of brand names that include the word
Datsun.  I think you have to apply on form VTR - 275.  There is a fee per
title search of $3.50,  I hope it's not a per-vehicle fee.  The open records
act requires state governments to provide all the information on the title,
even if you ask to block the information, under certain circumstances.  We
would fall under page 2 G. (1), bulk distribution for solicitations, AND not
for individual solicitation.  Send out a thousand or so postcards to the
addresses you get from the mailing list and ask for the number of drivable
and non-drivable roadsters the title owners possess, with VIN's.  Mike Adams
did that when he started TDROC. The form also has section 2 B. (5) which
allows the use of the list for motor vehicle market research.  We might send
out cards asking if they would buy a new Roadster if Nissan built one.  That
might require permission from Nissan, but if Nissan knew the REAL purpose of
the survey, they might agree.

I imagine that every state has  similar procedures buried in their vehicle
registration rules and regulations.  If someone from all 50 states agrees to
find their state's information, we will have an amazing database to draw
from.  I will dig a little deeper into the Texas rules.  If it's $3.50 per
car, I want everyone on the list to send me $5.00 and I'll send you back
what I don't use.  (Trust Me)

Leisure Suit Terry