Re: Front spoiler

To: "Mike/Chris Clothier" <mclothier@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Front spoiler
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:40:39 -0700
Hi Mike,

It's a piece of cake to install. I'm verrry happy with it, as it really
adds to the looks (and gets a lot of looks) and seems to add stability.
Here's how I did it.

First of all, wear some protective clothing. I didn't. A half hour after
installing it I had some awful itching on my arms. Yep, the glass fibers
from drilling the holes. They washed off easy enough.

Remove the front bumper, and straighten out any dents. My bumper was hiding
quite a few, looked like the car ran over a cow or something.

I held the spoiler/airdam up against the sheet metal and eyeballed the
center position. I used machine screws and flat washers up through the
spoiler, and split washers and nuts on top above the sheet metal. I think
they were #10-32 screws. Since the sheet metal "lip" is shallow, you'll
have to drill holes close to the front of the spoiler. I penciled a mark in
the center postion and drilled a hole in the fiberglass. Then I held the
spoiler up into position and penciled the sheet metal through the hole.

After drilling the metal, bolt the airdam up in place.  I drilled about 15
holes total, working my way out from the center. Drill the spoiler holes,
then pencil a mark through on to the metal. Remove the spoiler. Drill all
the metal holes. Then bolt it up.

To make sure the nuts don't work themselves loose, I added a drop of blue
thread-locker on the screw threads at top. It's real sturdy and has held up
fine over the last thousand miles. I'm real happy with the way it looks,
and wouldn't trade it for anything! (Thanks CDM!)

I've got a few pictures of my car at my website:

http://www.2xtreme.net/fredkatz/shasta0a.html

Fred "katman"
BADROC
'70 1600 Blondie