race starter/BRE windscreen

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: race starter/BRE windscreen
From: bill wessel <bwessel@itis.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 01:12:13 -0500
Guys,

Was up at Road America this past weekend with John Schmitt and Steve Harvey
at the Brian Redman International Challenge (and the 11th annual Dairyland
Datsun Roadster Day-out). We stopped into the booth of Ted Schumacher's
(TSI Automotive). Ted has been working with OROC to produce some Datsun
memorabilia (I was wearing my Datsun shirt I'd picked up at last years
Runoffs). Had no idea it was Ted (I'd ordered from him over the phone for
other stuff). But that's how it starts; you get talking roadster and you
never know.......

Anyway, Ted is now doing gear reduction starters for race prepped
roadsters. Now  the 2000 starter is more than adequate for our cars and
what I've been using up to now, even for race (but I had 5, and just
rebuilt three that were no longer turning at speed). But for a high
compression, hot race engine, a gear reduction starter is the way to go.
Ted told us the price is $190 until September.

I am also looking for a BRE race windscreen. I talked with Ted about doing
a mold since he has the mold for a Spitfire screen (which can be fitted to
the roadster but not as slick as the BRE screen). His startup costs are
$3000 and he's hesitant to do it. I'm thinking this would be 15 copies at
$200 a piece but we need the orders. Do we have 15 roadster race cars out
there who would like the true fit and finish of the BRE screen?

Failing that, does anyone have any info on where/how I can get a BRE screen
for my car? (if you don't know what I'm talking about, look at Mike Unger's
EP roadster on Mike Poorboy's page or at the pics of the BRE cars on
RoadsteRob's page).

TSI Automotive can be reached at <www.tsimportedautomotive.com> or
800-543-6648. Tell 'em you saw it on his website or heard about it from me
on the roadster list.

See ya at the track,

Bill Wessel
Madison, WI