brake lights (was A roadster for the wife)

To: "Datsun Roadster" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: brake lights (was A roadster for the wife)
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:18:56 -0700
Ken,

> I'm surprised about the power on a 1600, I never drove one before and
> it would pass other cars up steep grades with no problems(my wife said
> our Honda was floored to keep up).

I'll dare most 2000's to keep up with my 1600 on a steep grade!
(Theoretically you all should beat me, but that's not what I've
experienced. Tuning?)

> The only 2 immediate concerns are the brake lights failed half way
> back (probably a brake switch) and the voltage reg. for the fuel
> gauge and temp gauge doesn't work most of the time.

My '66 has a brake light switch at the hydraulic junction near the
coil. One lead going in is a hot (+12v) wire. The lead exiting goes to
the brake lights at the rear. Test the hot lead for voltage. If okay,
put a jumper wire across those two leads and see if the brake lights
are lit. If so, you have a malfunction at the hydraulic junction,
usually it's tarnished contacts. Clean them until the metal shines.

If you jumper the leads and the lights don't go on, then you have a
discontinuity in the wires going back to the tail lights. (Again,
probably tarnished contacts in the connectors or the light sockets.)

The voltage regulator should get replaced rather than fiddled with.
It's a cheap item available from our roadster suppliers

Fred
BADROC