ignition parts

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: ignition parts
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:23:07 -0700
So, Victor,
    1- yes.  And, in conjunction with 1a, you need the right value
condenser to match your coil.  The condenser matches the coil, so if you
have a stock coil, go for a stock (aka Nissan) condenser and points.  If
you're fitted with an aftermarket coil (e.g. Bosch) you need to get the
condenser value that they recommend.
    2- no.  But sometimes they last quite a while anyhow.
    3- no, it's just a noise suppresser.  Who knows what value it is?
    4- depends on condition.  When the rotor and cap get arced up, the
quality of your spark goes down.  It's not a bad idea to change 'em
every 20,000 or so, or if you're tuning the car.  Plug wires, too, and
CARRY A SPARE WIRE!  I've had wires fail on me in the weirdest places at
the oddest times.  It's easiest to diagnose by just swapping one
known-good wire around to see if the problem clears up...
    4a- the Pep boys (Shucks, Big A, whatever) caps are often HORRIBLE,
fitting badly, moving around, and not working very well.  Personally,
I've had decent luck with NAPA, but sometimes I get a poorly-fitting one
from them, too...
My 2c,
Toby B