Re: Shasta (NOT!!!) long

To: Ron Hamilton <ej99176@goodnet.com>
Subject: Re: Shasta (NOT!!!) long
From: Guy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:56:49 -0700
Ron Hamilton wrote:

> Good to hear that great  fun was had at Shasta and to and from also.
>
> We weren't so lucky this year and although we started out in great
> spirit in the RCKTSHP it soon turned sour. At about 250 miles I got an
> ever increasing rumbling that caused us to stop in Indio for repairs?
> Nursed it to the Nissan dealer nearby and found the area surrounding the
> pinion gear extremely hot and concluded that was the problem. The boys (
> they hadn't seen one of these things except for one old timer) were very
> helpful and even found after market parts since time was short. Later
> that afternoon got a call at the motel and heard that the race was
> galled to the shaft. Jumped in the rental car and did another 520 miles
> home and back to get a spare gear set assembly and were back to town by
> 1:30 AM. At the dealers at 8 AM, turned the rental in and waited for the
> technician to finish and even was allowed to help some. Test drive at 11
> AM revealed a noise in the left rear wheel bearing too and called it
> quits. Rented another car, drove home (260 miles) picked up the truck
> and trailer as there were none available in Indio and drove back AGAIN.
> loaded the car and came home.
>   In the 9 years I have been going to Shasta this is the first time I
> have not made it.  The good news is it wasn't worse and now I can quit
> looking for that phantom noise I have heard for 2 years! I thought I had
> it fixed when I worked on the electric fuel pump mount and the noise
> went away.
>
> Ron and Judy
>
> Sorry to have missed all the fun

Hi Ron,
Pam and I made it to our first Shasta.  It was everything you said it
would be and more.  I heard about your rotten mechanical luck at the
event.  What can I say... Don't know if we could have helped much if we
were there with you.   Sounds like your problems were way outside the
norm.  Maybe next year we can get several Arizona cars to go up in a
group.  This year we drove up in our suv.  Not alot of fun but very
comfortable. My goal is to have our roadster ready  for next years
event.  Oh, a real high point was a great ride up to Thunderhill in
Calspeed's blue flash.  What fun.  If only he would remember that he has
to put gas in it (we almost ran out).  Can't wait until next year.
Guy
1967.5 SPL 311
Tempe, AZ