Performance puzzle

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Performance puzzle
From: Robert Porter <drrebob@usnetway.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 19:36:41 -0400
This one is really giving me headaches.  My 70 1600 starts immediately, runs
great and accelerates normally for about 20 - 25 minutes, then starts
hesitating on acceleration, backfiring, etc.  Gas lines clean, fuel pressure
ok; carbs look good, pistons rising together, etc.; water temp ok.  Replaced
the condensor and checked the timing, which also sees to be advancing ok.

When I unhooked the voltage regulator, the problem went away, so naturally I
bought a new regulator, only to see the problem persist.  I did notice when
reinstalling the alternator that the  "A" post rotated when I tightened the
nut.   Could a loose anode on the alternator be the cause?
Is this something that shows up as the engine heats up, and if so, would an
alternator test reveal the problem?  (I ask because mine is still nestled
down by the header, and not real easy to R&R.)

If not the alternator, what else, could be giving me grief?

Appreciating your thoughts and suggestions,

Bob Porter
Harrisburg PA