Re: " Nissan" Valve cover

To: roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: " Nissan" Valve cover
From: shifty <shifty@best.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:24:29 -0800
Datsuns were made by Nissan. The story goes that to prevent loss of face for
Nissan if sales outside of Japan didn't fare well, the Datsun name was used.
The name itself goes back to DAT, formed by Messers D, A and T (don't
remember their names) who later produced the "son of DAT", the Datson. Which
was later changed to Datsun, because the earlier name sounded too much like
"to loose money" and the sun would be more fitting for a company from the
land of the rising sun. DAT was bought out and helped form Nissan.

Many say that Nissan destroyed their brand in the US, by changing the name
back to Nissan (remember "the name is Nissan" spots?). I'd love to see the
sales figures before and after.

Leigh Brooks
BADROC