Re: Wheel Mystery (a few words of warning)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel Mystery (a few words of warning)
From: RoadsteRob@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:40:32 EDT
spl310@hotmail.com (sidney raper) wrote:-

<< All,

I have been told that these wheels could be powder coated or ceramic coated
(ie. "Jet Hot" brand)  A local shop quoted me $75 per wheel for the ceramic
coating.

Sid >>

Sid, I too thought that powder coating was a good idea - However a word of
warning from Scott Perschke follows.

Rob

<< Cool, I had the same style wheels. Don't know the brand, but I can tell you
this - DO NOT HAVE THEM POWDER COATED!  Mine were chrome on the outside,
couldn't find a way to refurbish the chrome seperate from the center, so had
the whole wheel powder coated, which if you don't know, involves heating.
One day a rumbling sound eventually turned out to be the center section
separating from the rim!  different metals expand differently!  So now I
have 3 hose holders available, in a nice powder coated finish!  Interested?

Scott>>

On the 'Wheel ID' front, just when I thought I'd found the definitive answer,
Dann at Rallye says that there may have been more than one manufacturer of
these wheels or that there were different castings made by the same company.
Quote from Dann " I've seen a few that look similar to each other until you
set them side by side (or mount them on the same side of the car!)".

Confused? I think I'll just stick with stock wheels. BTW the car only
recently looks as good as the jpeg - that was a pic from a book a few years
ago - the publishers touched in the rust holes on the photos (but not on the
car) - she's since been wedged between two fence posts on a hairpin bend that
a PO friend, Steve, unfortunately didn't follow, spent two years licking her
wounds in my garage, and it was only last year that she was taken back to
bare metal and painted. Now it's just the metallic blue racing stripes to
apply, a new tonneau cover and some racing seats. (I guess it sounds like I'm
keeping her doesn't it).

Rob
<A HREF="http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/";>The Classic Fairlady Roadster
Register</A>