Re: OT - Autocross Video Clip <more>

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: OT - Autocross Video Clip <more>
From: Mike Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:18:51 -0700

Mike Poorboy wrote:

> Whoops !! I hit send while doing spell check. There was more to the story .

> It did remind me of an incident that happened to me back in the seventies.
> I worked at a helicopter service company in California. A pilot and I where
> standing on the flight line when one of our pilots was doing a test flight in
> one
> of our ag helicopters. As he was taking off the turbine stalled before he was
> out
> of transitional lift.

He was at around 150' when he came down the belly tank had 120 gallons of
water in it. The pilot wasn't able to auto- rotate with out air speed so it went
straight to the ground. On impact the belly tank exploded a good thing as it
 broke the fall a bit. The helicopter rolled over and the main rotor separated
and flew about 50' away. I was in shock, as I am sure the camera person in the
video was. You really don't want to run over to the scene, because what you
might
see. I grabbed the nearest fire extinguisher an ran to where he went down,
and was relieved to see him climb out.

I sure don't know how you guys in public safety jobs do it day in and day out.

Mike
Nowroc