Re: valve spring compressor

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: valve spring compressor
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:34:59 -0700
SPL311RDST@aol.com wrote:

> UMmmmm ........is the head ON or OFF the car? ( you recently mentioned
> adjusting the valves - sounds like it's on?????)
> They make different spring compressors for on/off the car.
>
> If it's ON-  you'll prolly need an "air-hold" to keep the valves from falling
> in !!! (screws in the spk plug hole - attaches to air compressor line). I
> 'spose you could set the piston at TDC for each hole youre working on- there
> may be a few other *tricks* to it out there also.

Take a length of medium-size rope and run it down the spark plug hole with the
piston about halfway
up on the compression stroke (be sure you leave the end hanging out so you can
remove it afterwards
- DOH!). Then turn the engine BY HAND until the rope is compressed against the
valves. Now apply the
spring compressor.

> Gotta dig out the little retainers with a dentist-type pick or tweezers (if
> you give it a good tap they might pop out, but tend to fly about & get lost)
> - and be REALLY careful to get them back in properly!!!!!!

Use a magnetic pickup tool. It works great.
--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org