Re: Slipped timing chain on U-20?

To: Eric Frisbee <efris@home.com>
Subject: Re: Slipped timing chain on U-20?
From: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:47:46 -0400
If the chain really "jumped time", something was wrong from the start.
Think about it.  If the chain only has .040 - .060 free play at the tensioner,
there is physically no way for it to slip from one tooth to another.
There just isn't enough extra chain.
It would have to have FAR more slack to get over a gear tooth.
Something was wrong, it isn't a U20 design issue.

Secondly, if a lash pad came out, the valve spring lost control
of the valve.  There should be only .006-.008 clearance when the cam is
off the rocker, no where near enough room for the lash pad to slip out.
Cam timing has no relation to lash pad clearance, that just is set with
a feeler gauge.  The valve/spring had to become separated from the
rocker, allowing the pad to slip out.
You lost control of the valve train do to overrev, a bad valve spring,
(valve float) or possibly bad cam/rocker/lash geometry.

I do agree here:
If the evil L breaks, its all coming apart, all bets are off.

Jim