Fwd: Slipped timing chain on U-20?

To: datsun-roadsters-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Slipped timing chain on U-20?
From: MMccaf8697@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 12:02:23 EDT
--part1_25.810df87.2699fc0f_boundary

In a message dated 07/08/2000 11:40:57 PM Mountain Daylight Time, MMccaf8697
writes:

<< Fellow roadsterites:  Troubles began on a drive to a wedding tonight (not
mine).  Upon starting from a stop sign on a steep incline, some wheelspin was
experienced, and when traction was gained, engine stalled. No restart, only
some weak backfiring.  Engine seems to have some compression or load on
starter.  Prior to this there was some timing chain rattle at low idle (about
800-900 rpm).  Engine is reportedly rebuilt about 3000 miles ago and previous
inspection revealed newer appearing timing chain, and top gear (removal of
valve cover only).  Timing chain tension appears to have several washers to
shim shoe outward, but otherwise appears new(er).  How can I quickly check
for timing gear jump?  Is jumping most likely at upper cam gear or jackshaft
gear? (I am not looking forward to removal of front cover).  Assuming chain
has jumped at top gear, can I simply set piston #1 at TDC and reposition cam
and cam gear to bright link and dimple on cam gear?  Advice on diagnosing
this and how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
 Mark McCafferty
 67 1600 with U-20 and 5speed
 WyCROC >>