fair price for 1500 in southern california?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: fair price for 1500 in southern california?
From: chris-datsun@tinker.ucr.edu
Date: 9 Jul 2000 19:25:18 -0000
  The current owner wants $4000, which I think is really high.  The price guide
that I found is a bit dated (1993) and doesn't cover the spl310.
  I'm comfortable with working on old cars (I currently own 3 old volvos, one
of which is nearly mint with 135k miles, one has many more and runs well but
needs body work, and the last is waiting to donate its motor and transmission
to a worthy cause).  The volvos actually seem pretty similar to the 1500 --
dual SU carbs, overhead valve valve train, mushy brakes; the works...
  *if* it actually has all the chrome intact and the extra head + two sets
of carbs and extra intake, and the seat frame for the 3rd seat and a soft top
frame and a hard top frame, is it worth my target price of $2500 + either a
volvo (the crappy one) or an 87 tercel?
  It's not that I can't afford more, it is just the principal of getting an
okay deal...
chris