Shasta SU carb headache

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shasta SU carb headache
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 00:59:01 -0700
Here it was, one day before heading up to Shasta from SF and my SU carbs
are acting up. Real lousy idle and running rough.

I topped off the dampers with 20wt trans fluid. Then I wasted time trying
to adjust the carbs. Still rough. Then I checked the needle drop and the
piston goes thunk when it bottoms, but the front carb piston doesn't give
any resistance when I raise it. Hmmn? Top it off with more 20wt oil. Still
no resistance compared to the rear carb. So I waste more time taking the
carbs apart.

Clean it up and real good and put it back in. More 20wt oil. I raise the
piston, and no resistance. Only then does it occur to me to swap the
plunger caps from rear to front. Good resistance to lifting the SU piston.
The darn plunger cap had a crack in the top, and was letting air in! I put
in a spare, and I'm back in shape for the 300 mile drive to Shasta in the
morning. It's the little things that will drive you crazy!

Fred - So.SF, Calif.
BADROC
'66 2L "Loosey" (Now a bit tighter with the front suspension lowered)