Engine swap in progress

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine swap in progress
From: "Matt Peterson" <pete_303@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 20:43:37 PDT
Hi everyone,

I haven't written in for a while but I have been busy working on my L20b
engine.  It is now almost ready to drop in my roadster.  Last weekend I
pulled out the R16 and realized just how dirty it was.  There was oil and
dirt all over the passenger side and on half of the driver's side.  It
definitely had a leak somewhere but I can't tell from where.  Anyway, I'm
starting to get impatient and a little nervous about getting the new engine
in.  Impatient because I want to drive my roadster and nervous because it's
my first rebuild and I don't want anything to go wrong because it will be
that much longer till I drive it again.

I do have a few questions.  Was the radiator size for the 2000's different
from the 1600's.  I brought my radiator into a few shops to see what they
could do about switching the inlet and outlet sides and about putting a fill
cap on it.  One said that He would have to make me a custom radiator ($350)
because my small 1600 radiator wouldn't cool the new L20b engine.  At
another place the guy told me that he would probably have to put a 3 or 4
row high efficiency core in ($150-$200) or else I'd have to get a different
radiator(roughly the same price).  The problem is there isn't much room for
a bigger radiator.  So I thought, "the 2000 can't have that much bigger of a
radiator".  How did Nissan cool the bigger engine?  Would the 1600 radiator
with a high efficiency core be alright?

Also, if any of you have done an L20b into a roadster swap and have any tips
or words of wisdom please feel free to e-mail me with them.

Thanks,

Matt Peterson
68 1600 (soon with an L20b)
Zimmerman, MN