Recommended Book & Whatizzit?

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Recommended Book & Whatizzit?
From: "Robert Porter" <drrebob@usnetway.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 14:29:37 -0400
List:
Last year at Watkins Glen I picked up a shop manual for $20 at a used book
stall:  Datsun 1300, 1600 1968-70 Autobook by Kenneth Ball (Brighton,
England:  Autopress Ltd., 1970).  Thought it might be interesting, but of
limited usefulness since it only covers the two sedans and not the Roadster.
Surprise.  Very nice, detailed pictures and drawings, plus excellent
discussion (in good English prose) of removal, repair and replacement
procedures of major components shared with the Roadster:   SU carbs, clutch,
transmission, fuel pump, alternator, starter motor, distributor, wiring
diagrams, etc.  The carburetor piece alone was worth it, as it offered the
clearest, simplest directions for cleaning, reassembly and tuning I've seen.
(And no, you don't need any special gauges to synchronize the air inlets;
just a hunk of rubber fuel line and a reasonably good ear).  The section on
rebuilding the distributor is also excellent, like reading Tom Walter with
diagrams and photos.  Also, the section on timing chains, cam replacement,
etc. for the ohc 1600 might apply to the U20 (though I wouldn't know, since
mine is an R16).  Autopress published many manuals for 50's and 60's cars,
so there might be a decent supply out there in other used bookstores.  (A
nice touch--it's bound in plastic, impervious to grease stains.  Whatever
Datsterites may say about how the Brits make cars, they sure know how to fix
them.  Cause and effect, perhaps?)

Now, for whatizzit.  In the trunk of my 70 1600, I found a a black canvas
Nissan bag, about 5" x 14."  Inside was a spark plug wrench (ok so far).
Then came the stumpers:  4 galvanized bent metal hooks, made from 5/16"
steel rod, about 5" long, and shaped a little like an old fashioned dinner
bell with a hook at the top.  Finally, a piece of black seatbelt webbing,
about 9' long, with 2' loops at each end.  The webbing can be slid into the
metal hooks, which are just wide enough at the bottom, though for what
purpose I cannot fathom.  Ideas, anyone?

Bob Porter
Harrisburg PA