You've heard of Tom's Tips . . .

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: You've heard of Tom's Tips . . .
From: "John E. Stromgren" <jstromgr@sqi.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 13:25:43 -0700 (PDT)
Tom's Tips, of course, are Tom Walter's suggestions for roadster maintenance and
repair based on years of experience and Tom's thorough knowledge of these cars.

Well, I've got some tips I'll call "Clyde's Clues" - clues for the clueless
mechanic who might not be quite ready yet for some intelligent help from a guy
like Tom.

For example, say you're having trouble starting your car, and you hear a little
gear gnashing.  Now a smart, experienced guy like Tom might inquire about the
condition of the starter, or even the ring gear, but I . . . I mean "Clyde,"
might suggest something a little more basic, like maybe your starter's falling
out!  Yeah!  So when's the last time you checked those bolts on your starter,
Buddy?  They tighten clockwise, so crank those buggers back in there and maybe
your starter will catch!  Remember Clyde's Clue: "Rightie Tightie, Leftie
Loosey."

Or how about this:  So you want to take off the fuel pump to fix an oil leak
between the pump and the block, but you're having a little trouble getting the
pump off.  Now you experienced mechanics will say, "Uhh . . . it really
shouldn't be that hard, friend," but Clyde might say, "Hey - remember that
engine mounting bolt you noticed was missing?  I'll bet that engine's hangin' a
little lower than it oughta, so the frame's getting in the way of your pump.
Jack the engine back up, and replace that bolt!"  Remember Clyde's Clue:  "Bolts
are your friends.  Don't lose your friends!"

Clyde's kinda shy, and didn't want to publish his wisdom, but I think some of
it's pretty good.  I may be sharing more of it later . . . if Clyde doesn't
mind.

-John
John E. Stromgren
'70 2000 (#14061)