Re: strange devices - 70 1600

To: Mike/Chris Clothier <mclothier@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: strange devices - 70 1600
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 00:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
It was asked:
> We are cleaning up and simplifying Roman's 70 1600. On the intake Manifold,
> there is a strange solenoid thingy, between the Carbs, I haven't seen on any
> other year. It has an elec. connection and a two vacuum connections.

Smog suckie, er, i mean 'emission control system'.

On the '70 cars (I don't think they were used in '69), one of the
additions, besides for the fuel vapor recovery stuff, was a vacuum
bypass valve.

>From Chilton's repair and tune-up guide:
"Engine modifications on the SPL311 sports roadster with the R engine
consist only of a solenoid valve which bypasses a lean fuel and air
mixture into the intake manifold for improved combustion. The solenoid
valve is overriden if the clutch is not depressed or the transmission
is not in third or fourth gear. This arrangement is operational
primarily during deceleration, when high intake manifold vacuum is
present".

There is a switch on the clutch pedal, and a switch in the transmission
that control the intake-mounted solenoid. This explains why some
transmissions have 'two back-up switches' - they are actually 1970
units with the extra '3rd/4th gear' switch.

As far as disconnecting it, I'm not sure it'll actually hurt to just
leave it alone. Keep in mind that not all smog modifications
are necessarily bad (retarded timing=bad, PCV=good).

-- John