Eating crow (OT -LONG)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Eating crow (OT -LONG)
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 18:59:45 PDT
Hello All,

Some of you may have followed with amusement my little "war" with the SU
owners on the list. I had made some comments about solex vs SU. I really
hadn't intended to re-start the debate about which was "better". I also know
that Craig Carter and Vic Laury are great guys and were just having some fun
with me.

Nevertheless, I had an experience today that put this in perspective. I went
to go drive yet another car for a couple in Northern California who wanted
an opinion on a 69 2000 Solex that was for sale. Ah! I thought, another
Solex! Surely this car would be as fast if not faster than mine.

Well, I drove it and it wasn't as fast as my car. Hmmmmmmm. What was going
on? By the way, the car is very sharp looking and I think the couple are
going to get it.  I swung down to CDM to do some business with Les and I
find both Craig and Vic there. Vic says "drive my car even though I am not
happy with it right now". So I did.

Now Vic's car is probably one of the finest kept cars you will ever see. Not
just in looks, but in the engine. Vic tunes his car as if he were creating
art. He has a VERY nice engine compartment and knows the engine very well.
If Vic ever hits the lotto, he will just go down to CDM and work on cars all
day.

So I took his car out. Very fast and yes, I think in straight acceleration
would stay with my Solex no problem. Above 4k rpms it started to "peter out"
as I put it. My Solex pulls great up there. Back at CDM, Vic told me that is
why he is not happy with the car right now since he replaced his piston. He
hasn't got the car dialed in yet. Said it might have something to do with
him adjusting his points with a matchbook...

So Vic and craig have taught me a valuable lesson: If your car isn't tuned
right, it doesn't matter if you've got solexes. All things being equal, it's
the care behind the car that matters.

Thanks Vic, next beer is on me.

Andrew Murphy
SoCalROC