Re: Suspension and Handling Question (long reply)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Suspension and Handling Question (long reply)
From: Don Miller <turbospl311@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 06:42:46 -0700 (PDT)
IMHO!!!!!!!

The item I noticed the most after changing something
was the stiffer front springs. Here is what I have
gone through so far.

Baseline: 68 stock 33 year old components. Turned
well, small amount of push easy to rotate out of a
corner, lots of body roll.

Changed to Gas KYB all around. Cornering was about the
same but transistions side to side were crisper.

Removed front sway bar. Car turns in better but more
body roll. Rear end follows the front around a corner
better.

Added Nismo front springs, lowered car about 2". Less
roll car turns in much better.

Flipped one 2nd longest leaf over to lower car.
Mushy!!! Car is awful.

Removed the flipped spring and added a flat leaf from
a 72 3/4 jeep pickup. Rear of car is very stiff and
cornering improved a little.

Added rear sway bar. Car is pretty neutral now. Can
get on the power earlier in the corner as the weight
is setting up better on the rear end.

Added front big Nismo racing sway bar with Urethane
bushings. Car has a little push entering the corner
but power can be applied much earlier in the corner. I
find myself braking a littel earlier but am on the gas
on much earlier and can use all the power (300 hp)
now.

How the car is set up now: 13x7 wheels with 20x9.5.13
Goodyear slicks, urethane bushings front and rear,
Nismo front racing springs, Big sway bar, Rear end is
a welded 3.89, KYB Gas all around, 4 leaf springs (3
stock and 1 jeep), 2 deg neg camber, 5 deg neg caster,
1/8 toe out, rear sway bar with custom made end links,
VG30ET Turbo Motor and 300zx 5 speed.

The next thing for me is to get the springs from Bill
Wessel (some day when I can pry the funds from my
wife) and play with the rear sway bar end links.

Don (learning so much it's pushing out other stuff)
Miller
68 Turbo V-6
68 1600 (for sale)
70 2000