Suspension and Handling Question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Suspension and Handling Question
From: jon_wissler@pngc.com
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:47:11 -0700
     I'm looking to the combined knowledge and expertise of the group to
help me out here.  Being short on funds and expertise, I'm curious how the
group sees prioritizing suspension components in order to maximize handling
capabilities.  My 69 SU2L has had an additional leaf put in the rear
springs (now installed correctly so it doesn't look like a high school
racer), urethane bushings in the rear springs, KYB's all around, new upper
A-arm bushings, and the stock sway bar and front springs.  I'm running what
I believe to be the stock rims and Michelin 165-SR14ZX tires with good
tread.  It looks like my ball joints are fairly worn, and the steering box
is in fair condition (at best).  I have no clue as to what condition the
tie rods, idler arms (as if I knew what they actually were), etc. are in.
I would like to attack the front end from a "most bang for the buck"
viewpoint.  The handling is fairly decent now, especially after having the
upper A-arm bushings replaced along with my brakes redone.  My thoughts are
to have the ball joints replaced, urethane bushings wherever possible, and
move to the 23mm sway bar.  Any thoughts and/or additional suggestions?
     As much as I would love to have a concourse looking vehicle, mine
looks pretty damn good already if you ignore the bashed driver's side door
I have yet to get repaired.  Like many of you, I find the greatest pleaure
out of the performance and handling charteristics of the car most of all,
and would like to know I have gone the extra mile to extract as much
handling capability out of her that I can afford.  I'll save the frame
off/powder coat/new top/new paint/carb rebuild for when I hit the lottery.
As always, I immensely appreciate your thoughts and advice.