mystery engine

To: "'roadster.netlist'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: mystery engine
From: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:34:10 -0700
Hey gang,
I was contacted during one of my roadster drives by a guy who said he had a
1600 version of the roadster engine he wanted to get rid of.  I went to take
a look at it, at which point he told me it was from his old Bluebird, and
he'd removed it for a larger engine, planned to try to put it in a sandrail,
and never got around to it. (he had a VW baja bug torn down next to his
garage)
It was removed complete, had been covered with a tarp and stored inside. It
had minor surface rust on some of the pulleys, but the rest was pretty good
shape.  Crank pulley will turn the engine by hand.
I took a quick look for identifying numbers, and along the right side of the
engine there was a schpeel of numbers/letters ending in "-210".
Can someone fill me in on engine ID's for the R-16 so I can figure out if
this is the right one?  He only wants $50, so I figure I can tear it down as
a gearhead-learning project, (my skills are more of the cosmetic variety,
mechanical skills more along the line of remove/replace other than tuning
stuff) and can't do much harm if all I've got to lose is the 50 bucks.

Thanks a ton for any helpful responses.

BTW: when I was shopping for my roadster, I test drove a 69 2000 up in
Pasadena, CA. No soft top, body ready for paint, good solid trans, no
detectable rust on body (by quickie 15 minute inspection).  Ran good
although the temp gauge didn't work, which gave me some worries.  But, we
drove it for 20-30 minutes, including highway driving and I could still keep
my hand on top of the valve cover w/o getting singed.
He wanted 2600, I offered 2000.  He said no and I went off and bought
another.  He called me back last week and said he'd take my 2000 offer.  Let
me know if anyone is interested, I can forward his #.  I originally saw the
ad on the recycler.com website.

Fergus O
70 2000