top tensioner

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: top tensioner
From: "Dana Nojima (CBN)" <noji@mail.ahc.umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 11:43:19 -0500 (CDT)
List,

I'm still trying to sort out my engine.  The other day it started making
a lot of noise at start up.  Different than the death rattle, but in the
same ball park.  The noise was caused by the top tensioner not putting
tension on the chain.  There was no oil getting to the tensioner to give
it pressure.  Swapped a new one in and the noise has gone.

What could cause the failer?  Part of the concern is that I swapped the
head recently and there may be old gasket junk floating in the oil.  The
passage holes in the tensioner look very small, could these be pluged?
Don't want this to happen again.

How does it work?

Is there a check valve?

Can it be serviced?