Helicoils (was Re: Airbox's??)

To: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>,
Subject: Helicoils (was Re: Airbox's??)
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 07:41:13 -0700
Dan-

Helicoils are thread repair devices that consist of a length of wire wound into
a helix.
The wire's section shape is in the form of a rhombus, so the coiled wire forms
the
equivalent of an internal and external thread - the internal thread form being
a standard
size (like 3/8-16 UNC, for example). A damaged threaded hole is drilled and
tapped to the
thread form of the outside of the helicoil, then the helicoil is threaded into
the hole,
leaving an internal thread of the size desired in the hole. Damned handy
gadgets for
repairing screwed-up threads, they are also used to reinforce threaded holes in
soft
materials like aluminum.

Gary McCormick
San José