exhaustive response to Nathan

To: "'roadster.netlist'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: exhaustive response to Nathan
From: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 10:16:12 -0700
reference the following note from:

Nathan, "nruff" <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>
<snip>
On my later model roadsters, I seem to
remember a fiberglass type insulation being glued to the undercarriage.  Is
there anything similar I can use to prevent excessive heat buildup under the
drivers seat?  Inside, I  plan on using the foil/jute padding found common
on street rods.  Will this be sufficient to prevent the smoldering
carpeting?
<snip>

There is cloth material made in tape form, various widths, called Refrasil
(and other trade names).  It's basically welding cloth made of refractory
silica, hence the name, which came about as a substitute for asbestos
packing/insulation.
You can wrap the parts of the exhaust that seem to heat up the floorboards
(I'm planning the same).  It works great, but stays a bit fuzzy, so it may
be a good idea to spray hi-temp muffler paint onto the wrap after it is
applied, otherwise next time you climb under you are going to be itchy-er
than you've ever been.  A division of the company I work for makes it, so if
you are in the LA area, I can pass some on to anyone who wants. (we have
lots in the 'scrap' bin, mislabeled, honked up packaging, etc.)  I don't
know if they make the jute/foil stuff in strips, and the problem with the
panels, I think, is you have to use fasteners to attach, and I hate drilling
extra holes anywhere in the body.

<snip>
I want to by-pass my heater core (2L) for now.  Is there a correct way?
Currently (very temporary) I have a heater hose running over the top of the
carbs connecting the inlet with the outlet.  After weeding through MANY
archives, I am still unclear of the safe way to do this.  I know my heater
alve is froze and fear my heater core has problems also.  I will eventually
fix it but want to spend my budget in other ways right now!
<snip>

I have the same problem with the heater valve, and now my closer inspection
has found a huge hole in a large hose (I think its  heater related) in that
small 'alcove' area aft of the valve cover.  It is so old it has both
original and repaint colors on it, but it's big, 5/8-3/4" ID.  My question
to the rest of the list is, how the heck do you replace it if your hands
won't fit?  What the heck is it that the car runs fine (sans heater)?

By the way, I have a hopelessly terminal case of the "Roadster Virus" that
Fred Katz mentioned.
A run up the 'twisties' on Ortega Highway this weekend (lotsa waves and
smiles) combined with the relaxed, sharing attitude of owners at Solvang
2000 has me hooked. (I can't remember the last car show I went to where all
the cars were driven there...)
The 'group therapy' that Fred spoke of is NOT an antidote, but more along
the lines of 'the dose of no return'.

Fergus O
70 2000
Huntington Beach, CA