Re: I hate you virus!

To: "Gordon Glasgow" <glasgow@serv.net>
Subject: Re: I hate you virus!
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 00:21:53 -0700
Amazing how many people don't backup their data. As a network administrator
I'm responsible for a number of servers. Our policy is that we backup the
data on the servers, but people are responsible for the data on their own
workstations. Put your data on a server directory and you're okay. Time and
time again, users come crying they lost megs of stuff on their PC's. Oh
well! You like your data, then take some responsibility for it!

Today several other departments networks went down. All of ours stayed up.
We posted alerts early, we have robust anti-virus software and firewalls,
and we don't rely on Microsoft. Our standard is Netscape and Lotus. Our
data is constantly backed up and copies go offsite for protection. Check
your MIS groups policies. If you're unsure, then protect your data.

Earlier, I posted a joke reply about a Fairlady virus. It's not that I
don't take this Iloveyou virus seriously. Sometimes humor is necessary to
help us get through problems. Certainly helped me while doing systems
support for hospitals, police, and 911. Last year during the Melissa virus
scare I posted a department-wide email to everyone, a lengthy joking virus
about being aware because it would blow up your toaster, hair dryer, etc.
Some thought I would get reprimanded or fired. Our departments director
laughed and congratulated me for breaking the tension. Relax, this virus
problem will pass.

Fred