Beware of your local machine shop!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Beware of your local machine shop!
From: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 16:35:45 -0400
Just thought I would pass on a recent experience with a
local machine shop.

Building a stroker r20 for a customer.

I had my shop (used them for 20 years, literally) do all the
hard stuff on the head.  (Pressure tested, surfaced, guide
and seat work)  Then they got backed up with racing stuff.

Soooo,  I took the head to another local shop that came well
recommended.  They had tons of chevy's and ford's.  I should have
been even more suspicious!

All I had them do was (supposedly) install and grind the
new valves, and pop the springs on.  No big deal...

Was testing an engine I built a few years ago with my leak down tester.
About 30K miles of hard street use.  7% on all cylinders,
looking GOOD.

I usually check out new engines after I assemble them, But have never
found any problems.
I checked the stroker (glad I did).  Cylinders 1,3,4 55-75% leakage!!!!!
Air poring out the exhaust ports.
IDIOTS.  They couldn't even seat the valves properly.

Off came the head, now awaiting a proper valve job.

Beware of your local machine shop!  This was a big, modern facility.  Beware.

Jim