Re: Changing Brake Fluid

To: BERKEN@aol.com
Subject: Re: Changing Brake Fluid
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 09:04:18 -0700
Another danger from water in your brake fluid - in freezing conditions the
water (which
will accumulate at a low point in the system) will freeze, making a nice little
chunk of
ice that will wipe out a seal the first time that the brakes are applied, et
voilá -  no
brakes! It happened to me in my old BMW, only it was the clutch that went out.
The clutch
and brakes shared the same reservoir of fluid (luckily) and the clutch slave
cylinder was
the lowest point in the system. Parked outside in 18 deg F on a ski trip,
pushed in the
clutch first thing in the morning and the pedal stayed down... Cheery drive
home from
Pollock Pines to Saratoga shifting clutchless!

Gary McCormick
San José, CA