Re: Dead 68

To: sandhoff@csus.edu, KWS711@aol.com
Subject: Re: Dead 68
From: Davesmbox@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 05:10:47 EDT
In a message dated 5/1/00 3:35:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sandhoff@csus.edu
writes:

<<

 Kim wrote:

 > ...No fuel pump clicking, no radio, no gauges, no  starter, no lights,
 > no clock, nothing. Well, almost nothing. The brake check light and the
 > horn work.

 Sounds like you used your ammeter as a fuse.
 All circuits - except the ones you mentioned - get power via the
 ammeter and then the fuse block. In the event of a short in the
 harness or a fuse not blowing fast enough, the wiring inside the
 ammeter becomes a fusible link.

 You can try shorting out the ammeter and see if that gets you
 going, but _something shorted out to cause this to happen_ and
 the ammeter probably sacrificed itself to save the rest of your
 car from a meltdown. Jumpering it will just reactivate the short.

 -- John
      John Sandhoff   sandhoff@csus.edd   Sacramento, CA

Hi,
I concur, the same thing happened on my 69. Look for smoke or burn marks on
your ammeter. Mine was a short at the alternator and exhaust manifold that
caused the meter to blow.
Dave