ARRGH...speedo problems

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: ARRGH...speedo problems
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 13:47:24 EST
Hello List,
Today I cut a small hole in the side of the tunnel for the speedo
cable.  (early car, 5 spd transplant, cut hole and run cable
under carpet or use hammer to make big speedo cable
clearance bulge).   Hooked cable to drill, and speedo works.
Hooked cable to tranny and speedo dosnt work.  Hmmm.
Pulled out cable assembly from tranny and lost about
1/2 qt of the Red Line MT 90 I was so happy about
putting in yesterday.....hindsight is 20/20 here.
The 18 tooth blue nylon speedo drive gear looks OK.
Some wear, but looks like it should work.  None of
my inspection mirrors are small enough to look inside
tranny hole.  Built a small hooked device and reached in
and can feel the tranny gear that drives the speedo gear....
and I can turn it slick as can be.  So,
I figure my project is speedo-less until I pull the tranny,
which I have planned for the future anyway due to less
than perfect synchros and now this.  So questions are:
1) There is no way to fix this w/o pulling tranny-right?
2)  Is this tranny gear just pinned in there, with maybe
     a broken pin, or am I dealing with something worse?
3)  Any East Coast/Virginia guys know of a shop that
     can deal with a roadster transmission.  Or is there
     a known good 5 spd on the East Coast someone
     dosnt need?
Plan on useing this tranny as is anyhow for awhile,
that way I can see if any engine/clutch probs
develop and fix all at once.
Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer
on this....
Jim
67 pushrod 2L