Re: Brake Bleeders,

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Brake Bleeders,
From: Marc Sayer <msayer1@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:53:35 -0800
Daniel Neuman wrote:

>         Hello All,
>
> Does anyone have any experience with the MityVAC Brake bleeder tool?? I
> will need to change out the brake fluid when I redo the rear end and am
> wondering if this till is worth the ~30 bucks??  I also need to change
> out the clutch/brake fluid on my and my girlfriends motorcycles.

While vac bleeders are often just fine, there is a basic problem with
them. The seals in the hydraulic systems are designed to seal with
positive internal pressure. The positive pressure helps push the seals
out into contact with the cylinder and creating a good seal. With a vac
bleeder you are creating negative (okay I know its not really negative
pressure-no such thing but you all get my point) in the system and the
seals are not designed to work this way. Air can easily work past the
seals in this case and enter the wheel cylinders. Disc brakes are less
susceptible to this than drum due to the seal designs in wheel
cylinders.

--
Marc Sayer
Editor/Publisher